Jump to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Don’t see your question answered below or want to see additional information added to this growing resource? Contact Us and let us know.

  • When are cadets issued military uniforms?

    Cadets at Det 90 are generally issued uniforms during their sophomore year and wear the Informal Uniform (IU) to Aerospace Studies classes and Leadership Lab (LLAB) during the freshman year.

  • What is the Informal Uniform (IU)?

    The Informal Uniform (IU) consists of a royal blue polo shirt, khaki pants, and brown or black shoes and belt.  It can be seen in several of the photos on this site.  Detachment polos (optional) are available for purchase through the Dactyls Student Organization.

  • Do I have to shave my beard?

    Yes, you will have to shave your beard, but that’s ok!  Cadets must be clean shaven in uniform and follow Air Force standards of dress and appearance during official functions.  Regulations on uniform wear and grooming standards can be found in AFI36-2903 Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel.

  • How big is Detachment 90?

    As of 2019, Detachment 90 is approximately 200 cadets strong.  Annually, we welcome 70 – 100 new cadets from Colorado State University, University of Northern Colorado, Aims Community College, and Front Range Community College. 

  • What classes do I need to sign up for?

    If you are a freshman starting with us in the fall, you will sign up for Aerospace Studies (AS) 101, Heritage and Values of the United States Air Force and AS196, Leadership Labratory .==.

  • Can I join AFROTC in the spring?

    AFROTC is designed to be a four year program, but this is an option.  We have several active cadets in the program who started in the spring of their freshman year.  If you would like to join in the spring, sign up for AS102 and AS196, and you will need to make up the missed AS101 class in the fall of your sophomore year (see the Course Catalog).

  • Can I pursue a medical career at Det 90?

    Yes!  Cadets can apply for medical careers through either the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUSHS) or the Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program (AFHPSP) which involves attending a civilian medical school.

    1. Connect withUNC Pre-health Advising.  
    2. Choose the right major.  You are able to major in any subject when deciding to study medicine, however, you must take a certain set of undergraduate classes to meet pre-medical requirements (requirements vary by medical school).  We recommend choosing an eligible major for a Type I scholarship (i.e. Chemistry).
    3. Take the MCAT.  We recommend taking the MCAT no later than spring semester junior year.
    4. Apply to the Cadet Pre-Health Selection Board.  The board for selecting Pre-Health cadets will come through a message from HQ AFROTC to your detachment cadre.  When your cadre sends out the calling message, it will contain important information regarding application requirements and suspenses.  You will also need to submit a memorandum to your detachment commander for approval to compete for a non-line commission in the Pre-Health category.
    5.  Gain acceptance into accredited medical school or USUHS.  We recommend you apply for civilian medical schools at the end of your junior year or beginning of your senior year.  If you receive an unconditional acceptance letter from an accredited medical school, bring a copy of the letter to your detachment cadre as soon as possible.  See the USUHS website for more information.
      • Pre-Health cadets not accepted into an accredited medical school prior to graduation have two options.  They either enter active duty as a line officer or apply for an educational delay.  For more information about educational delays, contact your detachment cadre or the AFPC Educational Delay Program Manager at 210-565-2638.
    6. Your detachment forwards your acceptance letter to HQ AFPC/DPANE (Physician Education Branch).  When the Physician Education Branch receives confirmation of your acceptance to medical school, they will email a contract and pay package to the detachment for completion.  
    7. Cadet completes contract and pay package.  The detachment will assist you in completing the required forms and will submit the complete package to HQ AFPC/DPANE (Physician Education Branch) by the suspense.
  • Can I practice law in the Air Force?

    The Graduate Law Program (GLP) is a two-year Air Force ROTC program for law students.  Once selected for the GLP, students are guaranteed a position as an Air Force Judge Advocate upon successful completion of the Air Force ROTC program, graduation from an ABA-approved law school, and completion of legal licensing requirements, including admission to practice before any state’s highest court.  More information can be found about this career field on the Air Force JAG Website.