Jump to main content

 Transfer Evaluation and Policies

Transfer Evaluation Process

The Office of the Registrar determines which credits are transferable and evaluates coursework based upon previously established equivalencies as approved by academic departments.

Transcripts (official documents only) for undergraduate students are routed to the Office of the Registrar for evaluation upon admission to the University. Courses will be given direct equivalents towards a student’s record only if the course work has previously been evaluated and articulated by the respective academic unit. The student’s record will be updated with a direct equivalent up until the point of matriculation to UNC (the first day of the first term for which a student registers). After the point of matriculation, no direct equivalents will be retroactively assigned.

However, LAC and/or major/minor course attributes may still be added to the student’s record. The major/minor department will use a course adjustment form to allow any non-equivalent courses to be assigned to the major/minor.

Students can access their Transfer Equivalency Report at any time through Ursa.

Courses listed on your Transfer Equivalency Report with a 1X, 2X, 3X or 4X have been brought in as a University Wide Elective.

Courses listed on your Transfer Equivalency Report with a 1XX, 2XX, 3XX or 4XX have been approved as a Departmental Elective.

Any courses deemed not to have a direct equivalent to a UNC course, may be substituted for major, minor, licensure, or endorsement requirements at the discretion of the appropriate department.

Transfer Policies

UNC only accepts credit from institutions of higher education holding full regional accreditation from one of six agencies. List of approved agencies.

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • The Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities 
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

UNC awards a maximum of 90 transfer semester hours from all sources towards the completion of degree requirements.

Remedial courses and vocational/technical courses are not eligible for transfer.

Individuals with an Associate or Arts, Associate of Science, or a Bachelor’s degree (regardless of date of completion) from an accredited institution will have their Liberal Arts Curriculum requirements waived.

Certain UNC majors require specific and/or additional LAC credit. These requirements are not waived by the AA, AS, or Bachelor’s degree.

Only courses with a letter grade of “C-“ or higher are eligible for transfer.

Any GT Pathways credit awarded by a Colorado HE institution based on a portfolio review shall be accepted in transfer and applied to GT Pathways requirements at the University of Northern Colorado, regardless of the sending institution’s portfolio review method. 

At UNC, students should consult with the respective academic unit for specific guidance on the Portfolio review process and GT alignment.

Regardless of the time a course was taken before the UNC Baccalaureate degree is to be granted, it may be applicable toward the UNC degree to satisfy Liberal Arts Curriculum Requirements and count toward the minimum 120 hours that are required for a UNC degree.

Transcripts from other academic institutions are the property of the University of Northern Colorado and, as such, are under the control of the Office of the Registrar. Transcripts submitted to the University of Northern Colorado for admission or credit transfer become the property of the University of Northern Colorado and will not be returned to students, forwarded to third-party recipients, or other educational institutions.

International Transcript Evaluation

Students who have completed coursework at recognized international universities may receive transfer credit at UNC. The courses completed must be consistent in level, duration, hours of lecture, discussion, and course content with courses offered at regionally accredited universities in the United States. Students must be aware that for a majority of international institutions there is a conversion factor related to credit values. 

Transcripts received from international colleges or universities must meet the following criteria:

  •  The official transcript must be sent directly to UNC from the international school
  • The transcript must be in English
  • If the credits are not reported in U.S. or ECTS credits, a clear definition of the conversion to U.S. credits must be included
  • A clear definition of the grading scale must be included

If any of the above criteria is not available, the student must submit an official transcript to a NACES approved evaluation service. The evaluation must include a course-by-course evaluation showing a list of each course taken along with the equivalent U.S. grades and credit value.

Obtaining this evaluation is the sole responsibility of the student.

Student Complaints about Transferability

If a disagreement regarding the transferability of credits for coursework or a degree occurs between and student and the institution, the Colorado Department of Higher Education will facilitate an expeditious review and resolution of the matter. Complaints can be filed at https://highered.colorado.gov/filing-student-complaint. The Colorado Commission on Higher Education shall have final authority in resolving transfer disputes.