Professional Education Council
The Professional Education Council (PEC) is a representative faculty council, charged via Board Policy to represent and act on behalf of the Teacher Education Faculty in the governance of teacher education programs in the University and to fulfill the following duties:
- To recommend overall goals for the teacher education program;
- To recommend policies for student admission, retention, and exit requirement for the teacher education programs;
- To recommend policies for professional development;
- To recommend policies, in consultation with affected academic units, for teacher education program design, implementation, operation, evaluation, modification, and decision-making, including specification of required courses;
- To ensure that all teacher education programs comply with all applicable rules and standards including professional teacher education accreditation standards;
- To adopt and revise rules of operation for its bylaws; and
- To perform any other relevant duty assigned to it by the chair with consent of the PEC.
The Dean of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences, and Professional Education Unit Head, shall have the authority and responsibility for the overall administration and coordination of teacher education programs.
PEC reviews curriculum for all programs offered by UNC for the purpose of preparing teachers and other school personnel to work in p-12 settings. PEC provides input in decisions about new degree programs; minors, emphasis areas, licensures and endorsements; courses with a major change; courses with a minor change; and certificates
Bylaws of the Professional Education Council
In recognition that the essential purpose of programs designed to prepare professional staff for schools is to provide for and improve upon the education of school children, this document is created to specify the membership and general authority of the elected representatives of the Teacher Education Faculty at the University of Northern Colorado, which shall be known as the Professional Education Council, with the provision that articles subscribed to here shall be consistent with the Constitution of the University of Northern Colorado Faculty.
Board of Trustees Policy Manual (PDF)