Jump to main content


Grants are need-based financial aid that does not have to be repaid. You apply for all grants when you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A student's aid package can include federal, state and\or institutional grant funds whenever guidelines and funding levels permit.

Here’s where you can find out about the most common grant program, the federal Pell Grant, as well as other federal and state grant programs that might help you pay for your attendance at UNC.

Applying for Need-Based Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application for most types of need-based financial aid including federal, state and institutional grants, federal loans and federal or state work-study assistance.

You should complete and submit the application online to the FAFSA federal processor after January 1 and before our June 1 priority date each year to be considered for the maximum amount of financial aid.

Completing the FAFSA late can cause delays in financial aid processing and, since some awards are limited, may limit the financial aid a student will receive. Students who miss the June 1 priority processing date are encouraged to file a FAFSA at the earliest possible date following March 1and will be considered for any remaining programs.

List UNC, Greeley, Colorado, Federal School Code 001349, on the FAFSA, which will enable the FAFSA processor to electronically transmit the completed information to UNC. Always keep a copy of anything that you submit for your records.

After you submit the FAFSA, you'll receive an electronic Student Aid Report (SAR) e-mail. The SAR is a record of the FAFSA information that the FAFSA processor has entered into their computer and the student is sent this copy for verification.

You and your parent should review each line carefully and compare it to the copy of the FAFSA that was submitted. According to the FAFSA processor, if there is a critical entry that must be corrected or verified, the text about it will be in bold print. You must make any necessary corrections online. If you find no errors and there are no lines in bold print, no action is required.

Keep the SAR email because it contains important information that may be requested by the Office of Financial Aid if problems arise. Do not submit the SAR or the FAFSA or any other document to the Office of Financial Aid unless specifically instructed to do so.

The information from the FAFSA is good for only one academic year, and students must reapply each aid year to remain eligible.

Students whose previous year's application was processed by the FAFSA processor will receive an e-mail from the U.S. Department of Education in September or October preceding the new award year reminding them to complete the FAFSA for the next academic year.

You can use the FAFSA4caster to help plan for college. It provides an early estimate of your eligibility for federal student assistance.

Federal Pell Grant

This grant is available to undergraduates who meet federal eligibility. The offered amounts reflect full-time status. Payment is adjusted based upon enrolled hours (12+ hours = full-time, 9-11 hours = three-quarter-time, 6-8 hours = half time, 1-5 hours = less than half-time). Learn more about the Federal Pell Grant on the U.S. Department of Education's website.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG or SEOG)

Available to full-time undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Consideration will be given only to students who have the lowest family contribution and will also receive a Federal Pell Grant. Funds are allocated to the university by the Department of Education. 

Federal TEACH Grant

Please note: At the recommendation of the College of Education, UNC does not participate in the Federal TEACH Grant.

Colorado Student Grant (CSG)

Funded by the General Assembly and awarded to resident, full-time undergraduates with financial need.

UNC Need Based Grants (NBDG)\1889 Founders Grant

Funded by UNC and awarded to full-time undergraduates with financial need.

Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF) Stipend

If you are a Colorado resident, make it a top priority to apply for the COF stipend. The fund was established by the Colorado legislature to reduce the cost of tuition for Colorado resident undergraduate students. Register for the stipend online at College Opportunity Fund or COLLEGEINCOLORADO.ORG. You will also need to authorize your COF stipend to be used at UNC on the "Financial" tab of Ursa. If you do not apply for the stipend, then you will pay a higher tuition rate.  Check your student bill in late August to see the stipend.