Jump to main content

Your Rights and Responsibilities

Knowing your rights and responsibilities regarding financial aid is important in helping ensure that the financial aid application, award and disbursement processes go as smoothly as possible. This is where you’ll also learn about what happens regarding financial aid if you have to withdraw from classes before a semester is over.

  • Terms and Conditions of Your Financial Aid Award

    Terms and Conditions of Your Financial Aid Award

    Terms and Conditions as viewed through Ursa.

    Please Note:
    If accepting Terms and Conditions for 2023-24.  I understand that my award letter is based upon reasonable estimates on the part of UNC and all costs and aid are subject to change.  I understand I should check Ursa regularly for additional information and/or requirements to be completed.

    If you decide to accept financial aid awards, they will have conditions attached. It is important that you understand & agree to these conditions before accepting awards.

    Like all agreements, you are deciding to accept awards that will have conditions attached. It is important that you understand & agree to these conditions before accepting awards.

    By Clicking "I accept" below, you agree to the following:

    I authorize all financial aid funds accepted to be applied to my university bill including indirect charges such as library, health insurance & parking, etc. I understand if I wish to revoke this authorization, I may do so by contacting the Office of Financial Aid.

    I have read and agree to the Rights and Responsibilities of Financial Aid as well as the Guide to the Awards information which includes, but is not limited to, the following:

    • If I fail to attend, drop or withdraw from classes, I may have to repay part or all of my aid especially if in module courses.

    If I repeat a previously passed course more than one time, it will not count towards full-time enrollment consideration for Federal Student Aid.

    All funds received will be used solely for expenses related to attendance at the University of Northern Colorado.

    I must be making satisfactory academic progress as determined by UNC.

    I must be enrolled at UNC in a degree-granting program. I understand that certificate programs are not eligible for aid nor are students in a seeking/undeclared status if they already have a bachelor’s degree.

    If an Undergraduate, I must enroll in and maintain at least 12 credit hours per semester to be considered full-time or at least 6 credit hours for half-time status for each term. Half-time status is required for Federal Student loan consideration.

    If a Graduate student, I must enroll in and maintain at least 9 credit hours per semester to be considered full-time or at least 5 credit hours for half-time status for each term. Half-time status is required for Federal Student loan consideration.

    Only course work that is required for my degree will count towards my enrollment status. Once I complete the requirements for a single degree, even if I haven't applied for graduation, I am no longer eligible for aid for that program. The fact that I might be getting a dual degree and haven’t completed the requirements for the second degree doesn't change this.
    Any work study funds listed/awarded are simply for a potential job while attending UNC. To receive these monies, I would need to secure a qualified work study job and work the hours required to earn this money. I understand I cannot work during scheduled class times.
    If a Pell Grant is offered, the amounts reflect full-time status for Fall or Spring semesters. Payment is adjusted based upon enrolled hours (12+ hours = full-time, 9-11 hours = three-quarter-time, 6-8 hours = half time, 1-5 hours = less than half-time. Summer Pell will reflect enrollment status for summer semester.
    Students who drop below half time after their aid has disbursed will not receive any additional credit that may be created. If a credit is created due to the drop then the student's loan(s) will be reduced by that credit and returned to the lender. If a refund is automatically generated between the time in which the student drops and the loan is reduced, the student will be responsible for returning that refund to UNC.

    To receive any student or parent loans, a master promissory note (MPN) and loan counseling is required. PLUS loans require an application/credit check.

    That if I receive additional aid including but not limited to scholarship funds, vocational rehabilitation funds, graduate assistantships, etc., my original aid offered may be reduced.

    Failure to read and accept these terms and conditions will prohibit UNC from disbursing your financial aid.

    NOTE: I understand that my award letter is based upon reasonable estimates on the part of UNC. That all costs and aid are subject to change. I understand that I should check Ursa regularly for additional information and\or requirements to be completed.


  • Your Rights

    You have the right to:

    • Receive factual information about costs, aid opportunities, program policies, etc., through publications and correspondence.
    • Confidentiality. All financial aid information submitted to the Office of Financial Aid will remain confidential according to the University policy regarding the release of information from student records pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1976.
    • An answer. Any questions concerning the determination of your award can be answered by a professional staff member in the Office of Financial Aid.
    • Accept all or part of the assistance offered. An award of one type of aid is not contingent upon acceptance of another.
    • Have your financial need recalculated if there has been a significant change in your family financial situation. This does not always result in an increase in your award.
    • Examine your financial aid records. You may request a review with a financial aid administrator on a walk-in basis. Dependent students cannot review their parents' income information. Parents/spouses cannot view an independent student's information without written consent.
    • Fair treatment. The University of Northern Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status or age.

    Report a Concern - UNC Dean of Students

    File a complaint against a Colorado institution of higher education - State of CO (Colorado Department of Higher Education) 

    Financial Aid Administrators’ Code of Conduct

  • Your Responsibilities

    You are responsible for:

    • Meeting your college costs. In addition, if you are a dependent student, your parents share this responsibility. Financial aid may be available when your resources are not sufficient to meet those costs.
    • Supplying accurate information on all forms submitted. Funds obtained on the basis of false or misleading information must be repaid, and could result in criminal prosecution, prison sentence and/or a $20,000 fine pursuant to US Criminal Code and Colorado Criminal Code.
    • Reporting any assistance received from sources outside our office.
    • Completing all requested documentation by the required date(s).
      • Meeting the deadline for completing the verification process: If selected, the deadline for an otherwise eligible student to complete the verification process for all federal aid programs is the date established annually in the Federal Register or 120 days after the last day of the student's enrollment, whichever is earlier.
    • Responding to all requests from the Office of Financial Aid in a timely manner.
    • Reporting any change in your circumstances that might affect your eligibility for financial aid. These changes include residency, enrollment status (withdrawing or dropping from a class or from school), class standing, increase or decrease of financial resources and marital status.
    • Using financial aid funds for expenses related to your attendance at the University of Northern Colorado.
    • Repaying all types of loan assistance. You must inform lenders of any changes in your name, address or enrollment status while you are attending school or after you leave or graduate.
    • Being aware of all conditions that relate to the receipt of your financial aid.
    • Meeting the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress.
    • Being aware if you fail to attend, drop or withdraw from classes,  you may have to repay part or all of your aid. For more information, please see UNC's Financial aid and withdrawal policy.
  • Changing Your Name with UNC
    • Please note that if you are changing your legal name with UNC, you must also change it with the Social Security Administration if your new name is different from the name they have.
    • Also, if you have a financial aid application on file, you must make the change to your name on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid after you have made the change with Social Security. Students with Pell Grants who do not follow the procedure risk losing the Pell Grant until the issue is resolved.
  • Changing Your Social Security Number with UNC

    In order to process your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) the social security number on the FAFSA must match the Social Security Number on the University System. If you have given UNC an incorrect number you must provide a copy of your social security card to the Registrar's Office at UNC.

  • Consortium Agreements

     A consortium agreement is a contract between two colleges/universities that recognize the registration of a student at each site for financial aid and transfer credit purposes. The consortium agreement certifies that only one of the two colleges/universities will administer Title IV financial aid for the student.


    Home Institution - the school where the student is admitted and from which they will earn a degree. The University of Northern Colorado (UNC) assumes the role of home institution.

    Host Institution - the school where the student temporarily takes courses, whose credits will be transferred back to their “home” institution. Any institution that enters into this agreement with UNC will assume the role of host institution.

    Term of Enrollment - the period in which the student will be enrolled. This can be reported as dates or as semesters (i.e., FALL, SPRING, SUMMER).

    Financial aid from UNC cannot be applied directly to the host school’s bill. The student is responsible for paying the host school according to their billing terms and dates.


    The following circumstances must apply for a student to initiate a consortium agreement with another institution (host):

    • Student must be enrolled as a degree seeking student at UNC.
    • Host school must be Title IV eligible.
    • Student must be enrolled at least half-time at UNC for the enrollment period:
        6 credit hours for undergraduate students (except for Summer, which is 3 credit hours)
        5 credits for graduate students
        or, the student has extenuating academic circumstances that justify a consortium agreement, as determined by the UNC Office of Financial Aid.
    • In general, elective courses cannot be approved for consortium agreement.
    • Dual-Enrollment Nursing Programs are not eligible.
    • Students must have a 2.0 GPA and be otherwise eligible for financial aid.
    • Consortium courses cannot be approved if the requirement is being, or already has been, satisfied by another course. (Example: a course being retaken)
    • Independent Study courses are not eligible courses.
    • Student cannot transfer more than 10 of their remaining 30 credits per Registrar’s office policy.
        Please note: an excessive amount of consortium credits may prevent completion of UNC Residency requirements. For additional information, please see Residency Requirement in the UNC Academic Catalog.
        Failure to enter into a consortium agreement may postpone the student's expected graduation date from UNC.

    For more information on the UNC-Aims Cooperative Agreement 

    For further information or request to apply for a  consortium, schedule an appointment or contact Michael Rangel