How to Obtain a Tax Transcript
If you have been selected for verification, copies of personal tax returns are not an acceptable form of income
documentation. Documentation of items found on a tax return will need to be submitted either by using the IRS Data Retrieval option on
the FAFSA website (preferred method) or requesting a tax return transcript from the IRS.
NOTE: Make sure you request a Tax Return Transcript. Do not request a Tax Account
Transcript or Record of Account because they
cannot be used for financial aid verification purposes.
Online Request-Mail Option:
- Go to www.irs.gov
- Click “Get a transcript of your Tax Records” located under the Tools heading
- Click “Get Transcript by Mail”
- Enter your Social Security Number, date of birth, and street address. Make sure the
address you use matches what
was reported on your most recent tax return. For example, Street vs. St will not match.
- Select “Return Transcript” as type of transcript and choose the year (2017 for the 2019-2020 FAFSA)
- You can expect the paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was used on
your request within 5-10
- Call the IRS Transcript Order Line at 1-800-908-9946 (7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
- Enter and verify your Social Security number.
- Enter and verify the numbers in your street address. Make sure that the address you
use matches what was reported
on your most recent tax return. For example, Street vs. St will not match.
- Select option “2” to request a Tax Return Transcript.
- Choose the year for which you would like a tax transcript (2017 for the 2019-2020 FAFSA).
- You can expect to receive a paper IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address that was
used in your telephone request
within 5 to 10 days.
By Mail-Paper Request Form - IRS Form 4560T-EZ
- Download the IRS Tax Form 4506T-EZ at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf
- Complete lines 1 – 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form. Note that
line 3 should be the most current
address as filed with the IRS.
- Line 5 provides tax filers with the option to have their IRS Tax Return Transcript
mailed directly to a third party by the
IRS. UNC STRONGLY prefers you have the transcript mailed to you and that you then submit it to our office. You will
need to make sure the student’s name and student ID # are on the transcript.
- On line 6, enter “2017” for the 2019-2020.
- The tax filers (or spouse if requesting information from a joint tax return) must
sign and date the form and enter their
telephone number. Only one signature is required to request a transcript for a joint return.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506T-EZ to the appropriate address (or FAX number)
provided on page 2 of
- You can expect to receive your transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS
receives and processes your