Jump to main content

Rights and Options for Victims

Rights and Assistance for Colorado Crime Victims

Article II, Section 16A of the Colorado State Constitution guarantees specific rights to victims of crimes. More information about these rights and victim assistance can be found below, or in this brochure. 

Rights and Options

For victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) and Title IX provide Rights and Options for students that have been victims to sexual assault/harassment or domestic/dating violence. learn more about your rights and options

  • What are my rights as a victim of a crime

    As a crime victim, you are entitled to specific rights.  You have the right to:

    • Be treated with fairness, dignity, and respect and be free from intimidation, harassment, or abuse throughout the criminal justice process
    • Be notified of and present at court proceedings in your case
    • Consult with the Prosecution about the disposition of the case
    • Be heard at the defendant’s sentencing, modification of sentence, acceptance of a plea, bond reduction or modification, or parole hearing
    • Have the court determine restitution
    • Upon written request, be informed of the status of the case post-sentencing
    • Information about what steps can be taken in case there is any intimidation or harassment
    • Apply for victim compensation in cases involving violent crime. Call the Victim Compensation Admin at the Division of Criminal Justice: 303-239-4493 or 888-282-1080.
    • Information about and referrals to services and assistance
    • Be informed about the legal remedies available to you

    This is a partial list of Victims’ Rights in the State of Colorado.  For a complete list, contact your local law enforcement agency or District Attorney’s Office.

  • What Crimes are covered by Colorado Victim Rights

    If you are a victim of any of the following crimes, the Colorado Constitution and CRS Title 24 Article 4.1 Part III guarantees your rights.  If the victim is deceased or incapacitated, these rights are guaranteed to the victim’s spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, significant other, or other lawful representative.

    • Murder
    • Manslaughter
    • Criminally negligent homicide
    • Vehicular homicide
    • All assaults including vehicular assault
    • All sexual assaults
    • Menacing
    • Kidnapping
    • Robbery
    • Incest
    • Child abuse
    • Sexual Exploitation of children
    • Crimes against at risk adults
    • All crimes involving domestic violence
    • Stalking
    • Bias motivated incidents
    • Careless driving that results in a death
    • Failure to stop at the scene of an accident that has resulted in a death
    • Retaliation of a victim/witness
    • Intimidation of a victim/witness
    • Tampering with a victim/witness
    • Indecent exposure
    • Violation of a Protection order against a person charged with sexual assault
  • What can I expect?

    The initial shock following a crime, sudden death, or other trauma is a harsh and painful reality for everyone involved.  However, everyone reacts differently when faced with crisis.  Some common reactions may include:

    • Shock, disbelief, numbness
    • Anxiety, panicky feelings
    • Feeling lost, difficulty concentrating
    • Irritability, tearfulness, or anger
    • Blaming, self-doubt, guilt
    • Sleeping Disturbances, loss of appetite
    • Flashbacks, unwanted memories
    • Depression and sadness
    • Withdrawal and isolation
    • Relationship problems
    • Unexplained physical pain

    After some time has passed, it is possible to experience a full life after a crime or tragedy.  As most people work through their feelings about the event, they begin to accept that they did the best they could in the situation and have renewed energy to focus on their lives again.

  • What can family and friends do?

    Remember that your loved one has just experienced a stressful event, regardless of how they may be acting now.  Listen carefully to them.  Allow them to share what they are feeling.  Do what you can to help them feel safe.  Avoid statements that may make the victim feel they were to blame for the crime.  Instead, reassure them that it was not their fault.  Allow them to take control back over their own lives and be there to support them.

    People who care about the victims can often fell stress too.  Do not be afraid to seek help for your own needs.

  • Can I be compensated for my crime. 

    Victims of certain crimes and the victims’ immediate family members may be eligible for financial assistance from the Crime Victim Compensation Fund.  Victims may receive help with many of their losses directly related to the crime, such as medical and mental health bills, funeral costs, lost wages, and replacement of doors, locks or windows damaged during the commission of a crime.  There are eligibility requirements for victims to apply for monies from the Crime Victim Compensation Fund and funds are not necessarily awarded to every victim who applies.  For more information, contact your local District Attorney’s Office:

  • How can I get a copy of my police report

    Anyone can request copies of reports at the UNC Police Department during normal business hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday).  There is a Search and Retrieval Fee of $2.50 as well as a $0.25 per page Copy Fee.  These fees are waived if the victim is picking up a copy of their own report.  The UNC Police Department is in Gray Hall on central campus of UNC.

  • Where else can I receive assistance

    The following services are available for crime victims in Weld County.  You may access any or all the options below.

    Law Enforcement:

    • UNC Police 970-351-2245
    • Greeley Police 970-350-9600
    • Evans Police 970-339-2441
    • Weld County Sheriff  970-356-4015
      Jail Extension (4665)

    Community Resources:

    • North Colorado Medical Center 970-810-4121
    • UC Health Greeley 970-652-2000
    • North Range Behavior Health 970-347-2120
    • Sexual Assault Victim Advocate Center 970-472-4204
    • A Woman’s Place  970-356-4226
    • Weld County Social Services 970-352-1551
    • District Attorney’s Office  970-356-4010

    University Resources:

    • Student Health Center 970-351-2412
    The following Resources are funded by UNC’s Student Fee program; therefore, they are available for any UNC student to use at no additional charge:
    • Assault Survivors Advocacy Program (ASAP) 970-351-1490
    • UNC Counseling Center  970-351-2496
    • Student Legal Services 970-351-2001
    • Prevention Education & Advocacy 970-351-1136

    Additional support services are available through the District Attorney’s Victim/Witness Assistance Program.  They can be reached during normal business hours at 970-356-4010 Ext 4746.  Their services include assistance in completing forms to apply for restitution or victim compensation funds, updates on the case status, contact for input before critical stages of the criminal justice process, and support before and throughout the trial.