Here you will find additional information on institutional rules and regulations, department policies, as well as state and federal laws relating to gender-based violence.
- Colorado Rights and Options
- Bear Code (Code of Conduct)
- Title IX
- Violence Against Women’s Act (VAWA)
The Violence Against Women Act §304. VAWA was originally enacted in 1994 to address concerns with violent crimes and violence against women. The goals of VAWA are to prevent violent crimes, respond to the needs of crime victims, learn more about crime, and change public attitudes through a collaborative effort made by a variety of organizations and systems. In 2013, President Obama signed the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act, which, among many provisions, amended sections of the 1990 Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act).
Today VAWA and the Clery Act require institutions to:
- Maintain statistics on campus violence
- Provide primary prevention programs to incoming students and new employees
- Develop and implement ongoing prevention and awareness campaigns
- Describe each type of disciplinary proceeding used by the institution (Investigation with OIEC/Title IX, or Law Enforcement)
- Provide protective and supportive measures to students and employees
- Ensure prompt, fair, and impartial disciplinary proceedings
There are a lot of similarities between Title IX and VAWA compliance. Ultimately, both ensure Complainants and Respondents have a full understanding of their rights, the institution’s responsibilities, and transparency with navigating the institution’s process for resolving reported sex offenses.
Availability of Public Records
Anyone can request copies of reports at the UNC Police Department during normal business hours (8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday – Friday). There is a Search and Retrieval Fee of $2.50 as well as a $0.25 per page Copy Fee. These fees are waived if the victim is picking up a copy of their own report. The UNC Police Department is in Gray Hall on central campus.