Jump to main content

Other Options for Attending UNC

Whether you're a previous UNC student looking to continue your studies, a high schooler ready for a challenge before graduation, or a lifelong learner looking for summer course opportunities, we have options for you.

Are you a previous UNC student who is considering returning to the university? First, you will need to fill out the returning student application. Then you will need to activate your Ursa account, meet with your advisor and get your PIN number, and then register for classes. Welcome back to UNC!

Are you someone who wishes to take classes at or through UNC but do not wish to pursue a degree? If so, you will need to complete the Nondegree Seeking application

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Admissions at 970-351-2881.

Once a Bear Always a Bear! Bear Pride!

Dual Enrollment 

The UNC Dual Enrollment program provides opportunities for high school students to take college-level coursework locally. Students earn dual credit (both high school and college credit) via one course taught on-site at their high school.

High School Concurrent Enrollment

Interested in enrolling in courses at UNC while you're still enrolled in high school? The state of Colorado provides several options for high school students to begin college early. These courses provide you with academic challenges, give you access to courses your high school may not have, and allow you to explore different fields.


You may be eligible for the ASCENT program if you:

  • Have completed (or are on schedule to complete) at least 9 hours of postsecondary course work prior to the completion of your 12th grade year
  • Are not in need of basic skills coursework
  • Have been selected for participation in the ASCENT program by your high school principal or equivalent school administrator
  • Have satisfied the minimum prerequisites for the course(s)
  • Have not have participated in the ASCENT program in previous years

Concurrent Enrollment

You may be eligible for the Concurrent Enrollment Program if you:

  • Are under 21 years of age and in ninth through 12th grade
  • Have received approval from your high school for your academic plan of study
  • Have applied for concurrent enrollment approval from your high school prior to the deadline set by your high school
  • Meet the minimum college prerequisites for the desired course(s)

If you are interested in either of these programs, please see your high school counselor to complete the appropriate paperwork.


Summer Session Courses

Interested in taking classes over the summer but not interested in being formally admitted? Learn more about UNC Summer Sessions.


Let's stay in touch.

Sign up to receive emails and other communications to guide you through your college application process.