Jump to main content

Military Student

UNC is proud to support its military community and accepts military credit, VA educational benefits, and the Yellow Ribbon Program.

A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit may be accepted for college-level courses taken under the auspices of the U.S. military services. Credit may also be awarded to veterans of military service who have successfully completed coursework at U.S. military service schools. A Joint Services Transcript (JST), DD214, or official military service school transcript must be submitted. These documents are evaluated by the Office of the Registrar according to recommendations from the American Council on Education in accordance with UNC guidelines. This credit is counted as non-residency transfer work.

  • Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
  • Coast Guard Institute (CGI)

Veteran Support

The University of Northern Colorado proudly supports the military-affiliated community by assisting in the transition process and providing a stand-alone space with a strong, inclusive community through UNC's Veterans Services.

What Type of Student am I?

As a military student, you may be applying as a first-year or a transfer student. If you have taken any college credit (not military credit) after your high school graduation (or equivalent), you will apply as a transfer student. Otherwise, you will apply as a first-year student.

Military credits can be considered for transferability but do not make you a transfer student in and of themselves. Your DD214 and/or Joint Service Transcript (JST) will give you elective credits, but you should still apply as a first-year student if this is the only credit you have. Attending any other regionally accredited institution makes you a transfer student.

How do I Receive VA Benefits?

Head to Veterans Services to learn more about receiving VA Benefits.