Thank you for stopping by! The Stryker Institute for Leadership Development continues to support our campus and encourages you to reach out to our staff for any support that you may need.
Engage with us by:
The Stryker Institute for Leadership Development welcomes students interested in learning more about scholarship eligibility and our program experience, to stop in and meet with our staff. Through the generous gift from our donor, Ronda Stryker, the Stryker Institute has been able to serve and support over 476 scholars at UNC for almost 20 years. Joining the Stryker Institute provides a space for students who identify as women to join a community where all students sharing a common identity can grow and develop together in their awareness of self, understanding that each of our unique identities and experiences shapes the leaders we become.
We encourage you to stop in to hear more about our program experience, the scholarship highlights, and eligibility requirements!
The Stryker Institute is housed in the beautiful Scott-Willcoxon Hall, along with the Center for Women's and Gender Equity, which offers a friendly and warm atmosphere for studying, hanging out and making connections regardless of your status as a scholarship recipient. Our building offers a functional kitchen, computer lab, resource library, lactation station, all-gender restrooms, and comfortable seating.
Stryker Mission & Vision Statements
The Stryker Institute for Leadership Development is a participation-based scholarship program that serves women from under-represented groups and supports scholars in their identity and leadership development.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Providing access to educational opportunities focused on identity development, social justice, leadership, and mentorship
- Cultivating a sense of belonging through connectedness and community
- Empowering women through encouragement and facilitation of personal growth
- Establishing a network of support through collaboration with campus and community partners
- Our program prepares students to develop a leadership identity that enables them to create positive social change and advocate with purpose.
We approach our work with the following values:
- Celebrating the unique intersecting identities of each scholar and the strength of our collective voice in positively impacting our families and communities
- Maintain an open mind to explore and find healing in telling our stories
- Cultivate individual and collective success of women through social justice and leadership development
- Support an inclusive learning environment where dissonance and differences are understood, respected, appreciated, and recognized as a source of strength
- Demonstrate diligence and accountability as we challenge ourselves through identity exploration to become better advocates
We envision a world in which leaders bring awareness to social injustices and find liberation in dismantling systemic barriers that prevent us from achieving our goal of thriving in an equitable society.
*Office hours may fluctuate based on staff availability.