Jump to main content

Frequently Asked Questions 

  • About the Center for Urban Education

    How are the bachelor's degree programs at the Center for Urban Education different from the programs on the main campus? 

    One key difference is that all of the students at the Center for Urban Education work as paraprofessionals in the mornings or during the day, and they attend classes in the afternoon or evening. Thus, by the time you graduate, you will have had over 3,000 hours of experience working with children.

    There are other “Centers for Urban Education." Are they connected or related to the UNC Center for Urban Education? 

    No. The University of Northern Colorado’s Center for Urban Education is unique and stands alone. There is a program with the same name at Metropolitan State University in downtown Denver, but it is not a teacher training program. There are many teacher training programs in Colorado, but UNC’s Center for Urban Education is the only one in Colorado that provides students with classroom-based experience from the first day to the last.

  • The Degree Programs & Apprenticeship

    How long will it take to complete the program?

    It takes four years to complete a Bachelor of Arts program if you enter without any previous college credit. If you have eligible college coursework to transfer in, the time it will take you to complete the program will vary depending on the number of credit hours you transfer to UNC.

    How many apprenticeship credits do I need to take?

    Students at the Center for Urban Education take between 3 to 6 credits of apprenticeship depending on their program.

    Do I get paid to work as a paraprofessional for my apprenticeship while I go to school?

    Yes, you are an employee of the school district where you work and you get paid by the school district.

  • Class Locations & Schedules

    Where are Center for Urban Education classes taught? 

    All classes are taught at the UNC Denver Center at Lowry.

    What is the class schedule?

    Courses are offered in 5-week blocks or throughout the semester for 15-weeks.  The flexible schedule allows for in-person, online, and hybrid classes taught by highly qualified faculty.

    What are the class times?

    Afternoon classes are from 1:15-4:00 p.m., evening classes are from 5:00-7:45 p.m., and Saturday classes are offered from 9:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:00-3:45 p.m.

  • Eligibility & Getting Started

    What are the requirements to be eligible for admission?

    Center for Urban Education applicants applicants are evaluated using the same admissions criteria as all other applicants. Current admission policies and minimum requirements can be found in the UNC Undergraduate Catalog (choose either First-Year Student Admission or Transfer Student Admission).

    Can I transfer in to the Center from other colleges?

    Yes, many students start their college career at other institutions.

    Transferrable college credit may shorten the time you spend in academic courses. Courses with a grade of C- or higher from regionally-accredited institutions (that are not developmental courses) transfer to UNC. Students can transfer in up to 90 credit hours. 

    Review process: official transcripts are reviewed by the UNC Registrar. Transfer students are advised on placement in the program following the Transfer Evaluation Process.

    Your Program Coordinator/Advisor can advise you on how transferred courses will impact your required coursework each term.

    If I take classes at a community college, do I have to earn an Associate's Degree before transferring to UNC?

    It is not necessary to earn an associate's degree before transferring to UNC. You may take many of your courses at a community college and then transfer to UNC when you are ready. The Transfer Guide will help you understand how your classes from a Colorado public two-year institution will transfer to UNC.

    When can I apply and start the program?

    The Center for Urban Education is open for information and visits year-round. We accept applications at any time and students can enroll at multiple points during the Fall or Spring semesters. You will apply to the University of Northern Colorado, designating Denver/Lowry (which is where the Center for Urban Education is located) when selecting both your Program and Site.

    Visit the Get Started / Apply page to learn more.

  • Once You Begin

    Who will be my advisor?

    Your advisor will be the Program Coordinator for each program. You can find their contact information and other key resources on the page for each program that is linked from the Current Students page.

    How will I know what courses I need to take?

    An individual plan is developed for each student in coordination with your advisor, so you will know which classes are appropriate for each semester. A list of all available courses appears on the page for your program (see the Current Students page link above) to help you register for the courses that you and your advisor determine.

    How will I stay informed about center events and closures?

    We communicate to students via their UNC Bearmail account. BearMail is the official email for UNC students and your BearMail address is how you will be contacted for any information concerning your classes, status, changes in scheduling, etc. Your BearMail account information is provided with your admission information.

    • The first part of your BearMail address will be the same as your Ursa username [your first four characters of your last name and a randomly chosen 4-digit number (e.g. smit1234@bears.unco.edu or fox4321@bears.unco.edu)].
    • Your password is the same as your Ursa password.

    Are the Center’s course credits transferable to other colleges?

    Yes, UNC is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA)—one of six regional accrediting bodies in the United States. Any credits you take from UNC are widely transferable should you need to apply them to a future degree or certificate at another institution. 

    Additionally, since UNC is a public university, many general education courses are guaranteed to transfer to other state institutions via the Colorado Guaranteed Transfer Program. This also means that courses from other state colleges and universities will transfer well to UNC (see the transfer credit topics above).