Heng-Yu Ku, Ph.D.
School of Teacher Education
College of Education and Behavioral Sciences
University of Northern Colorado
School of Teacher Education
Campus Box 107
Greeley, CO 80639
- Ph.D., Arizona State University: Learning and Instructional Technology
- M.T., Arizona State University: Industrial Management
- B.S., Arizona State University: Industrial Management and Supervision
Dr. Ku has been teaching at the University of Northern Colorado since 2001. He is
the recipient of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Outstanding Scholar
Award in 2005, 2010, and 2021. Dr. Ku also served as Research Advisor on more than
25 dissertations at UNC.
Research/Areas of Interest
Technology integration, online teaching and learning strategies, and cross-cultural
- Speckien, M., & Ku, H. Y. (2022). A case study of Western teachers’ perceptions of
Myanmar high school student college readiness in Western Society. Journal of Educational
Research and Innovation, 10(1), 1-18.
- Monzon, G., Alrmuny, D., & Ku, H. Y. (2021). College students' attitudes towards an
App for creating videos in online introductory Spanish classes. Quarterly Review of
Distance Education, 22(2), 31-38.
- Clancy, Z., & Ku, H. Y. (2021). Shared values and beliefs of classroom teachers who
operate as transformative intellectuals in online communities. Educational Media International,
- Riney, D., & Ku, H. Y. (2021). Gender differences in socio-emotional and socio-cultural
perspectives of middle school students in STEM learning. Journal of Educational Research
and Innovation, 9(1), 1-18.
- Diteeyont, W., & Ku, H. Y. (2021). Internet literacy among the elderly in Thailand.
Educational Media International, 58(3), 248-260.
- Tsai, C. L., Ku, H. Y., & Campbell, A. (2021). Impacts of course activities on student
perceptions of engagement and learning online. Distance Education, 42(1), 106-125.
- Alebrahim, F., & Ku, H. Y. (2020). Perceptions of student engagement in the flipped
classroom: A case study. Educational Media International, 57(2), 128-147.
- Tsai, C. L., & Ku, H. Y. (2020). Does teacher quality mean the same thing across teacher
candidates, cooperating teachers, and university supervisors? Educational Studies,
- Hbaci, I., Ku, H. Y. & Abdunabi, R. (2020). Evaluating higher education educators’
computer technology competencies in Libya. Journal of Computing in Higher Education,
- Alruwaili, T. O., & Ku, H. Y. (2020). Saudi female international college students’
self-identities through the use of social media in the United States. Journal of International
Students, 10(3), 629-645.
- Alebrahim, F., & Ku, H. Y. (2019). Faculty members’ experiences with the implementation
of flipped classroom environments in higher education. Journal of Educational Research
and Innovation, 7(1), 1-22.
- Abdunabi, R., Hbaci, I., & Ku, H. Y. (2019). Toward enhancing programming self-efficacy
perceptions among undergraduate information systems students. Journal of Information
Technology Education: Research, 18, 185-206.
- Alhammad, R., & Ku, H. Y. (2019). Graduate students’ perspectives on using e-books
for academic learning. Educational Media International, 56(1), 75-91.
- Liu, D. F., Ku, H. Y., & Morgan, T. L. (2019). The condition of poverty: a case study
of low socioeconomic status on Chinese students’ National College Entrance Exam and
college enrollment. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, 39(1), 113-132.
- Alruwaili, T. O., & Ku, H. Y. (2019). The role of online communities and the impact
of educational social media on Saudi female college students in the United States.
Educational Media International, 56(2), 149-163.
Honors and Awards
• 2021 Arno H. Luker Award for Excellence in Scholarship
• 2016 and 2023 Fulbright Specialist Award
• 2005, 2010, and 2021 College of Education and Behavioral Sciences Outstanding Scholar