By becoming a JED Campus, the University of Northern Colorado is committed to enhancing its mental health, substance abuse and sucicide prevention policies, systems and programs.
JED Campus is a signature program of The Jed Foundation (JED) that is designed to guide schools through a collaborative process of comprehensive systems, program, and policy development with customized support to build upon existing student mental health, substance use, and suicide prevention efforts. UNC is embarking on a strategic partnership with JED to create further positive, systemic change in the campus community.
A commitment to the emotional wellbeing of our students
By joining the JED Campus program, the University of Northern Colorado is demonstrating a commitment to the emotional wellbeing and mental health of its students and the entire campus community. The JED Campus program takes a comprehensive, public health approach to promote emotional well-being and prevent suicide and serious substance abuse.
The programs and resources recommended through the JED programs have been developed with an equitable implementation lens that ensures that the needs of students who are potentially marginalized and/or underserved due to societal and structural inequities and school-specific community demographics are considered deliberately and intentionally. To promote student mental health equitably and effectively, and to reduce risk, schools must take care to learn about, understand, and plan for the needs of students whose mental health may be impacted by bias, racism, and marginalization.
During the 2021-2022 academic year, we are collecting data through surveys, audits, and focus groups. This self-assessment will help us to identify our campus strengths and areas of improvement in seven (7) areas identified by JED as key elements to mental health promotion and suicide prevention.
Through our partnership, UNC will:
- Collaborate with our JED Campus team to look for opportunities to enhance emotional health and wellbeing on our campus.
- Complete the JED Campus self-assessment and conduct an in-depth, confidential Healthy Minds Survey among students.
- Participate in a full-day campus visit with our JED Campus team to develop a strategic plan tailored to UNC’s individual needs that will serve as a roadmap to implement enhancements over the course of the program.
- Receive ongoing consultation, support, and guidance from our JED Campus Advisor.
- Engage with the JED Campus Learning Community – a network of JED Campus schools - to share information on specific topics of interest that emerge from the community’s work with JED, as well as have access to an in-depth, online resource library.
JED Campus Strategic Plan Progress
- JED provides feedback report for Healthy Mind Study (HMS) results
- JED campus visit
- Team and JED collaborate to develop a strategic plan
- UNC builds an interdisciplinary team, inclusive of senior leadership, to steer efforts across campus
- Administer the Healthy Minds Study
- Team completes JED Campus baseline self-assessment
Year 2 and 3
- JED provides ongoing assistance to support strategic plan
- JED tracks and communicates team progress against strategic plan
Year 2 and 3
- Collaborate with other JED campuses nationwide
- Recieves access to professional development tools to strengthen work being done
- JED and Team set future goals for growth, improvement, and sustainability
- Administer 2nd HMS
- Complete post-assessment
- JED provides executive summary of accomplishments and outcomes