Jump to main content

Degree Works FAQs

  • What is Degree Works?
    Degree Works is a web-based tool used to monitor academic progress toward degree completion. It combines UNC’s degree requirements and the coursework that have been completed with easy-to-read worksheets. These worksheets will show how courses, which have been completed, count toward degree requirements and show what courses and requirements still need to be completed.
  • What is a worksheet?

    A Degree Works worksheet is a review of past, current and “planned” coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to fulfill a degree/major/minor/concentration.

  • Who can use Degree Works?

    All currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students who are in an active catalog can use Degree Works. A student must be in a catalog term beginning Fall 2009 or later.

  • What is the "What If" feature?
    The "What If" function allows students to hypothetically change major or minor. The new "What If" audit will show the coursework that is required for this major or minor, what courses have been taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left to take.
  • What does the Term GPA Calculator show?

    The Term GPA Calculator will show students' estimated cumulative GPA after filling in hypothetical grade information. By entering their current earned credits and GPA and placing the in-progress courses in the table (this all will default) along with the grades anticipated for current courses, students will see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates provided.  The GPA calculator does not account for UNC’s repeat policy. 

  • My major is wrong and/or my minor/concentration does not appear on my worksheet. What do I do?

     You need to contact your advisor to get your major, minor, and/or concentration(s) updated as appropriate.   If nothing shows on the evaluation, the catalog could be expired.  Or a student might not have formally declared their major/ concentration or minor.

  • My advisor approved a course substitution and it isn’t showing. What do I do?

    Contact the Office of the Registrar (undergraduate students) or Graduate School Office (graduate students).

  • How often should I review the Degree Works worksheet?

    At least four times a term. You should review your worksheet at the following times:

    1. Before you meet with your advisor to ensure your planner has three future terms populated.
    2. After you register to ensure the courses apply to your requirements as you expected.
    3. After your grades are posted.
    4. Any time you make changes to your schedule.

    It’s important to review your audit frequently, especially before and after you schedule courses or receive grades. This helps ensure you are taking the correct courses and are on track to graduate on-time. 
    *Remember: Changing your registration or completing a course with a grade lower than the minimum required for a requirement may impact your degree progress.

  • How is the Degree Works worksheet different from my transcript?

    Degree Works is a tool to assist you with planning and tracking your progress towards your degree. Your transcript is your official university record. This evaluation is not your academic transcript and it is not official notification of completion of your requirements.

  • Degree Works placed one of my courses in two different places. Is that okay?

    In most cases, yes. It is programmed to recognize that some courses may be used to fulfill more than one requirement. If you have questions, you should consult with your advisor. 

  • I’m working on two degrees or majors (a B.A. and a B.S.). Only one appears. How can I review the progress on the other degree?

    Look at the degree information next to your name at the top of the screen. You’ll notice that the degree box has a drop-down arrow. Use this to select your second degree.

  • What will my audit look like on Degree Works?

    Degree Works opens automatically to the Student View of your audit. Your graduation requirements are organized into blocks, based on type (i.e. major-specific, liberal arts core, etc.). These blocks are summarized at the top of your audit.
    Specific requirements are then listed in each block. As you look at requirements, click on the course number to view more information. If you see an * that means there is a prerequisite (a course you need to take/satisfy first); click on the course subject and number to view prerequisites. 
    As you register and complete requirements, they are tracked and marked. Refer to the legend that’s located at the top or bottom of the evaluation. 

  • What are Insufficient Credits?

    At the bottom of your audit, you may see a list of unused courses that are insufficient (such as a failed or withdrawal course). 

  • How do I update my audit?

    The audit updates every night at midnight.  If you add or drop classes or grades have been issued and need updated information, hit the process new button.  This will update your audit. 

  • Are there other ways to view my audit other than Student View?

    You can view your audit two other ways – Registration Checklist or Graduation Checklist. To change views, select an option from the format dropdown and then select the View button. The Registration Checklist shows a concise list of the courses you still need to take. The Graduation Checklist is a condensed, quicker but less-detailed view of the Student View. 

  • Is my information confidential?
    Yes. Degree Works is accessed through your secure Ursa log in. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career. Your Degree Works Audit is part of your Education Record and is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
    As with any other personal information that you access on-line, you should be sure to logout of your account before leaving a public computer.
  • Who can enter notes?
    Faculty and staff who advise you may periodically make notes regarding registration, transfer courses, future term plans, etc. This information is meant to be helpful to you and to others you may be working with academically. Anyone who has access to your record in Degree Works can view the notes displayed here.
  • Who do I contact if I still have questions or believe that there is a mistake on my audit?

    Your first point of contact should be your academic advisor. If your advisor is unable to resolve your questions they may refer you to the appropriate contact person in the Office of the Registrar (undergraduate students) or Graduate School Office (graduate students).  You may also submit e-mail questions to graduation@unco.edu (undergraduate students) or grad.school@unco.edu (graduate students).

  • How is Degree Works different from the degree audit program we already have (CAPP)?
    Degree Works is an advising tool which will produce a much easier to read and user-friendly degree audit. Degree Works will give students and advisors better information in selecting coursework and understanding degree requirements. This will give students a better idea of what courses are still required to complete their degree. Degree Works shows advisors and students where course substitutions are needed if a course is 'still needed.' Course substitutions are entered directly into the system by the Registrar's Office for undergraduate students or by the Graduate School for graduate students; they will be readily viewable on the student's degree audit.
  • What is the Look-Ahead feature?

    The Look-Ahead feature allows students to enter a list of classes and see where they might apply on the degree audit. It is a great tool to use as part of the registration process. Students can see how a course will be used before they actually register for it.