School of Biological Sciences
Natural and Health Sciences
Ross Hall, Room 2516
501 20th Street, Greeley, CO 80639
- Postdoctoral training:Molecular Toxicology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO (2000-2001)
- Postdoctoral training:Immunology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO (1995-2000)
- Postdoctoral training:Cell Biology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR (1994-1995)
- Ph.D.:Toxicology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR (1994)
- B.A.:Biology, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA (1987)
- BIO 102 (Success in Biology I)
- BIO 101L (Biological Perspectives Lab)
- BIO 110 (Principles of Biology)
- BIO 210 (Cell Biology)
- BIO 211 (Applications of Cell Biology)
- BIO 302 (Principles of Cannabis Science)
- BIO 350 (Human Physiology)
- BIO 381 (Principles of Immunology)
- BIO 448 (Pathobiology)
- BIO 450L (Cell Physiology Lab)
- BIO 476/576 (Pharmacology)
- BIO 547 (Immunology and Disease)
- BIO 556 (Current Topics in Biomedical Research)
- BIO 578 (Pathobiology)
- BIO 591 (Biology Roundtable)
- BIO 594 (Foundations of Biological Research)
Research/Areas of Interest
My research interests are to understand the effects of naturally occurring and man-made
chemicals on immunity, development, and homeostasis. Specific chemicals of interest
are halogenated aromatic hydrocarbons, pesticides, ethanol, and botanical dietary
supplements. These compounds are thought to impact health and development through
direct mechanisms, such as altered gene expression, or indirectly through alteration
of hormone levels and other pathways. The focus of my laboratory is to investigate
mechanisms of toxicity and regulation at the organismal, cellular, and molecular levels
with the ultimate aim to improve human and animal health.
Peer-reviewed research publications
A complete list of my published works can be found here.
Honors and Awards
Recent grant awards
- 2022 -- Faculty Publications and Research Board, Research Dissemination and Faculty
Development award: "Sex and AhR Interactions in Gut Immunity".
- 2021 -- UNC CARES Act Stimulus Funds for Research, Scholarship, and Creative Works.
- 2019 -- Faculty Publication and Research Board, Provost Research Dissemination and
Faculty Development award: "Altered migration of antibody secreting cells after activation
of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor".
2017 -- Faculty Publication and Research Board, Provost Research Dissemination and
Faculty Development award: "B Cell Homing to Mucosal Tissues Following Activation
of the Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor".
- 2015 -- University of Northern Colorado, Research Advisory Council, Summer Support
Initiative award. "Enhancing resistance to cholera toxin via aryl hydrocarbon receptor
- 2015 -- College of Natural and Health Sciences, Grant-writing Incentive Program.
- 2014 -- Faculty Research and Publications Board -- Research, Dissemination and Faculty
Development grant. "Resistance to cholera toxin after activation of the aryl hydrocarbon
- 2012 -- College of Natural and Health Sciences' 2012-2013 Faculty Reassignment awards
for Research. "The aryl hydrocarbon receptor as a target for treating leishmanial
disease". University of Northern Colorado.
- 2012 -- University of Northern Colorado, 2012 Summer Support Initiative. "The aryl
hydrocarbon receptor as a target for treating leishmanial disease".
Recent professional honors
- 2022 -- Excellence in Service Award, College of Natural and Health Sciences
- 2015 -- Excellence in Service Award, College of Natural and Health Sciences
- 2012 -- Recognition of Outstanding Accommodation Assistance to Students with Disabilities,
Disabilities Support Services, University of Northern Colorado
- 2010 -- Minority Undergraduate Student Research Mentor, Travel Award, Society of Toxicology
- 2008 -- Faculty Research Mentor of the Year, Undergraduate Level, NHS, UNC
- 2006 -- Outstanding Professor Award, Delta Zeta Sorority, University of Northern Colorado