The Graduate Student Association (GSA) oversees the distribution of research and conference grant funding through a competitive application process that occurs four times per fiscal year. GSA grants are supplemental in nature to aid in the academic and professional development of UNC’s graduate students. Due to the limited nature of grant funding, each application cycle is highly competitive and designed to expose graduate students to the scrutiny and subjectivity of grants in the public and private sectors. To learn more about GSA grant funding, please read the GSA Grant Handbook.
Cycle 2 Grant Application Links:
Applications may change with each grant cycle. Do not use applications from previous grant cycles.
- Cycle 2 Conference Grant Application
- Cycle 2 Research Grant Application
- Cycle 2 Professional Development Application
- Cycle 2 Publication Application
- Advisor Statement Form
- Student Gifts, Prizes, & Awards Form
- IRB/IACUC Supplemental Statement Form
Note: Student-related travel expenses can be reimbursed only if allowed by the institution’s travel policies. Students planning travel outside the United States must work with the university’s Office of Global Engagement prior to making international travel arrangements. Students who travel abroad without OGE involvement or approval will not receive funding.
Grant Application Helpful Info:
- 2021-2022 Full Award List
- 2020-2021 Full Award List
- 2019-2020 GSA Grant Cycle 4 Applications (Excel)
- 2019-2020 GSA Grant Cycle 3 Applications (Excel)
- 2019-2020 GSA Grant Cycle 2 Applications (Excel)
- 2019-2020 GSA Grant Cycle 1 Applications (Excel)
- 2018-2019 GSA Grant Cycle 4 Applications (Excel)
- 2018-2019 GSA Grant Cycle 3 Applications (Excel)
- 2018-2019 GSA Grant Cycle 2 Applications (Excel)
- 2018-2019 GSA Grant Cycle 1 Applications (Excel)
- 2017-2018 GSA Grant Cycle 4 Applications (Excel)
- 2017-2018 GSA Grant Cycle 3 Applications (Excel)
- 2017-2018 GSA Grant Cycle 2 Applications (Excel)
- 2017-2018 GSA Grant Cycle 1 Applications (Excel)
- 2016-2017 GSA Conference Attendees, A-Z by Program (pdf)
Grant Session and Application Due Dates
Fiscal Year 2023-24
GSA Grant Cycle 1:
For activities occurring between July 1-Aug. 31, 2023
- Application opens: July 1, 2023, 12:01 a.m.
- Application closes: July 15, 2023, 1 p.m.
- Funding/editing decisions by: Aug. 5, 2023
- Deadline to file reimbursements: Aug. 31, 2023, 5 p.m.
GSA Grant Cycle 2:
For conferences/research occurring between Sept. 1-Dec. 31, 2023
- Application opens: Sept. 1, 2023, 12:01 a.m.
- Application closes: Sept. 22, 2023, 5 p.m.
- Funding/editing decisions by: Oct. 28, 2023
- Deadline to file reimbursements: Dec. 23, 2023, 5 p.m.
GSA Grant Cycle 3:
For conferences/research occurring between Jan. 1-April 30, 2024
- Application opens: Jan. 1, 2024 12:01 a.m.
- Application closes: Jan. 27, 2024 5 p.m.
- Funding/editing decisions by: March 24, 2024
- Deadline to file reimbursements: April 28, 2024, 5 p.m.
GSA Grant Cycle 4:
For conferences/research occurring between May 1-June 30, 2024 (pending approval by UNC Accounting and Business Offices)
- Application opens: May 1, 2024, 12:01 a.m. (MDT)
- Application closes: May 12, 2024, 1 p.m. (MDT)
- Funding/editing decisions by: May 26, 2024
- (EARLIER DEADLINE) Deadline to file reimbursements: June 2, 2024, 1 p.m. (MDT).
Supplemental Grant Cycle 5 (if funds are still available):
If you have received one or more GSA grants during the current fiscal year (July 1, 2023-June 30, 2024), you may apply for supplemental grant funding. Grant winners who did not submit completed budgets / receipts in time for reimbursement for a given award are not eligible for supplemental funding. The purpose of these supplemental grant funds is to reduce the difference between the amount(s) previously reimbursed and the amount requested in each grant application. If the amount requested in your original grant application has changed, the grant winner must submit a revised budget, with the appropriate receipts, for each grant award in question.
To apply for supplemental funding, notify the Grant Review Committee at GSA@unco.edu by Wednesday, June 7, 2024, 5 p.m. (MDT). A single email will be sufficient for the committee to consider providing supplemental funding for all your eligible grant applications from this fiscal year. If the amount (and/or items) requested in your original grant application budget have changed, you must include any revised budgets with your official notice and include additional applicable receipts. If nothing has changed for a given award, previously submitted budgets and receipts will be used. If awarded supplemental funding, you will receive an award letter from the Grant Review Committee. The GSA will not be responsible for filing supplemental reimbursements for requests that are incomplete, lack the appropriate documentation, etc. It may take the GSA up to two business days to receive questions via email and to respond. Please plan accordingly.
Due to delays in UNC's reimbursement processes, additional purchases made after the supplemental submission deadline might not be processed or reimbursed. The GSA is not responsible for reimbursement denials by the Accounting and/or Business Offices.
“Double-dipping” is strictly prohibited. You may not receive multiple reimbursements for the same dollar spent. For example, if you spent $600 on equipment and already received a $600 reimbursement from the GSA, you may not receive any additional money for that same purchase. However, if you spent $1,000 on equipment and received a $600 reimbursement from the GSA, you may still receive an additional $400 in supplemental funding. Students in violation of this policy may be banned from the GSA grant process. If you have any questions or need additional assistance, email GSA@unco.edu