Jump to main content

Incoming International Scholars & Faculty

NOTE: Complete application MUST be received at least 90 days before desired program start date.  All scholars will be assessed a $250 administrative fee each term 

  1. Receive nomination.  All scholars must have a nomination from a UNC faculty or staff member.  That person will provide a letter of invitation and work with OGE staff on your application and admission as a scholar.  They will also serve as your primary support and contact at UNC.
  2. Application.  Complete and submit the Application for Visiting International Scholars.  Please note that applications cannot be processed until the application fee is paid by the Scholar applicant or their Hosting Department, and the complete application materials are received.
  3. Submit a brief concept statement of the work you plan to accomplish at UNC and how it will meet the objective of the Exchange Visitor Program to “promote cultural and educational exchange between citizens of the United States and those of other countries.”
    This can be summarized in your Hosting Department Agreement
  4. Applicants who are not native speakers of English are required to provide evidence of English language proficiency in line with our international admissions policy for students.  Scholars requesting participation in the Short Term or Research J-1 categories may submit scores equal to or better than our undergraduate admission requirements.  Scholars requesting participation in the Professor category must submit scores equal to or better than our graduate admission requirements.
  5. Also required:
  • Proof of financial support for your stay at UNC ($2,545/month living expenses plus $250 each semester or part of semester in fees).  Exact amounts will be calculated depending on your intended length of stay, and number of dependents (plan on at least $500/month per dependent).  Estimated costs are based on the 23-24 academic year and may increase.
  • A photo-quality copy of the biographical page of your passport
  • Proof of immunization (REQUIRED if you will be in the classroom for any reason)- This can also be submitted in your Admissions Application Portal. 
  • A copy of your current USA visa (if you have one)
  • History of any previous activity in J-1 status