Welcome to the Center for Career Readiness Work-Based Learning page. This page is designed for business owners and employers to help you connect with students at the University of Northern Colorado and understand our processes related to Work-Based Learning. Below, you can find a definition of “Work-Based Learning,” common types of work-based learning, how work-based learning opportunities benefit you as the employer, and how to engage with and hire our students for opportunities within your business.
We encourage you to read this page in detail and create your employer Handshake account before reaching out to the Center for Career Readiness about setting up a work-based learning opportunity for UNC students. When you are ready to design, advertise, and hire for your opportunity, we are here to help. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Work-Based Learning?
Work-based learning is an educational approach that places students in a work environment that will help them connect academic experiences to real-life work activities and future career opportunities. UNC students pursue many different types of work-based learning experiences which may or may not be a course or graduation requirement. Employers can hire students within their organizations or volunteer their time and expertise to provide work-based learning opportunities to UNC students.
The goal of work-based learning is to provide students with the following opportunities:
- Application of classroom learning in real-world setting
- Establishment of connection between school and work
- Improvement in critical thinking, analytical reasoning, and logical abilities
- Expansion of curriculum and learning facilities
- Meeting the diverse needs of the learner
- Creating a talented and skilled pool of future employees
- Reduces pre-service training time and cost
- Improvement of student awareness of career opportunities
- Making education relevant and valuable to the social context
- Community building exercise for productive economy
Below are the most common examples of work-based learning opportunities that we support our students engaging in:
Employer Benefits of Work-Based Learning
Ready to Engage
We are so excited you are ready to engage with UNC students and continue the discussion on how work-based learning opportunities can benefit your business. Here are just a few of the many ways you can engage with UNC students outside of hiring for traditional internships and jobs.
Ready to Hire
We are so excited that you are ready to hire UNC Bears for your internships, jobs, and other work-based learning opportunities. Below are options for facilitating the recruiting and hiring processes for our students.